in

Joshua Buatsi is set for a thrilling fight with British rival Anthony Yarde after the WBO officially ordered him to fight for the interim light heavyweight title


  • The WBO has officially ordered an all-UK clash between Buatsi and Yarde
  • The move follows the postponement of Artur Beterbiev’s fight with Dmitry Bivol
  • Beterbiev withdrew from the June match after injuring his knee in training

The WBO has officially ordered an all-British clash between Joshua Buatsi and Anthony Yarde for the interim light heavyweight belt.

The move follows the postponement of a proposed clash between Artur Beterbiev and Dmitry Bivol for the undisputed championship.

WBC, IBF and WBO champion Beterbiev recently pulled out of his June 1 fight with WBA belt holder Bivol after injuring his knee in training.

The WBO said in a statement: «Due to Beterbiev’s unavailability due to injury and the required recovery time, this commission hereby decides that (it is) in the best interest of boxing and the competitors in the WBO light heavyweight division that the interim championship is authorized subject to special provisions of this Committee to terminate the status of Interim Champion at the required time in accordance with our policy of only one world champion in each weight class.»

«Therefore, based on today’s judgment, the business in the said weight category is not suspended and consequently protects and safeguards the rights and interests of the remaining bidders.»

Joshua Buatsi (L) will fight Anthony Yarde for the interim WBO light heavyweight belt

Yarde dropped an eighth-round stoppage in a thriller against Artur Beterbiev last year

Yarde dropped an eighth-round stoppage in a thriller against Artur Beterbiev last year

They will be given 10 days to reach an agreement or the commission will order the purses with a minimum bid set at $300,000 (£239,600).

Recommended Article
Michael Clarke's heartbreak with accountant Anthony Bell is over as the ex-cricketer replaces him with Stuart Waugh ... after sticking with him after a wild brawl at Noosa Park

The winner will also secure a shot at the full WBO light heavyweight crown

Buatsi is a perfect 18-0 in his professional career after defeating Dan Azeez via unanimous decision to claim the British and Commonwealth light heavyweight titles in February.

Yarde is 25-3 after a third-round submission win over Marko Nikolic in February. He previously suffered an eighth-round stoppage in a thriller against Beterbiev in January 2023.

In a statement, the WBO said Beterbiev is expected to return around September or October 2024, with his proposed fight against Bivolo still expected before the end of the year.

Anthony Yarde, Joshua Buatsi

***
Read more at DailyMail.co.uk




What do you think?

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

Jake Paul vs Mike Tyson officially sanctioned as a pro fight

Lioness gets second season: Zoe Saldana and Nicole Kidman spy show from Yellowstone creator Taylor Sheridan renewed