in

Labor imposes more than $2.5 million on humanitarian aid for PNG landslide victims – while new soccer team gets $600 million


Labor has been slammed for pledging just $2.5 million in humanitarian aid to Papua New Guinea after a landslide buried up to 2,000 people – despite proposing to shell out over $600 million for the country’s new soccer team.

A massive landslide hit the village of Yambali in the north of the country in the early hours of Friday while most of the villagers were sleeping.

More than 150 houses were buried under rubble nearly two stories high, and the United Nations estimates that around 675 were killed.

However, PNG’s disaster agency estimated in a letter to the UN that «more than 2,000 people» could be buried alive under the rubble.

Rescuers, who were desperately digging into the ground with shovels and even their bare hands, told local media that they heard screams from below.

The Australian government announced on Monday evening that it would provide $2.5 million in humanitarian aid following the disaster.

A massive landslide hit the village of Yambali in the north of the country in the early hours of Friday while most of the villagers were sleeping.

More than 150 houses were buried under rubble nearly two stories high, and the United Nations estimates that around 675 were killed.

More than 150 houses were buried under rubble nearly two stories high, and the United Nations estimates that around 675 were killed.

«All Australians will be thinking of Papua New Guinea at this very difficult time,» Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles said.

«The Australian Government will provide an initial $2.5 million in humanitarian aid to support PNG’s response to the landslide in Enga Province.»

However, the announcement was met with widespread criticism online, with many questioning the poor figure.

Recommended Article
Jack Tweed is set to become a father for the first time after announcing girlfriend Ellie Sargeant is pregnant - 15 years after the death of his wife Jade Goody

‘Australia has had 40 years to speak out about PNG and it hasn’t,’ wrote former Australian Federal Police agent Brad Turner, who served in PNG.

‘Putting in PR changes and zero infrastructure now and turning a blind eye to the PNG government’s human rights abuses since 1979 does not make Australia a good neighbour.’

Others compared the $2.5 million in aid to the government’s proposed $600 million investment to fund an 18th NRL team in PNG.

Anthony Albanese has declared his support for the plans, which are expected to cost the federal government $60 million a year for at least a decade.

«I am very supportive of the 18th NRL team in PNG,» the Prime Minister said last year.

Labor has been slammed for pledging just $2.5 million for humanitarian aid after a landslide buried up to 2,000 people - despite proposing to shell out more than $600 million for the country's new football team (pictured)

Labor has been condemned for promising just $2.5m in humanitarian aid after a landslide buried up to 2,000 people – despite proposing to fork out more than $600m for the country’s new football team (pictured)

«This is a change in the relationship with Papua New Guinea.»

The supposed double standard was highlighted by one user X who simply wrote: “$2.5 million for humanitarian aid. $600 million for a football team. Righto.’

Daily Mail Australia has approached the Ministry of Defense for comment.

The government has indicated it will consider providing additional support.

«Today’s package will help the urgent needs of people affected by this devastating landslide and we stand ready to consider further support,» said Foreign Minister Penny Wong.

Rescuers, who were desperately digging into the ground with shovels and even their bare hands, told local media that they heard screams from below.

Rescuers, who were desperately digging into the ground with shovels and even their bare hands, told local media that they heard screams from below.

Recommended Article
LISTEN as it all begins! Why did Jude Bellingham take cheap shots at fans? England need a fire lit under them
In some cases, rescuers even tried to dig for potential survivors with poles

In some cases, rescuers even tried to dig for potential survivors with poles

$2.5 million will help provide shelter, hygiene kits and care for women and children affected by the disaster.

As part of the support package, Australian technical experts will be deployed to the region to assist with geohazard recovery and assessment.

Relief efforts are hampered by the remote mountainous location of the village.

In some cases, rescuers used poles to dig out potential survivors.

“More than 300 lives are buried there as we speak. The boys are fighting,» local lawyer Andrew Ruing told the ABC.

“They’re not using bulldozers or anything… they’re trying to remove big rocks with poles. That’s why we’re asking anyone who can help… we really need help.”



What do you think?

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings

There are 5 days left to get Early Bird Disrupt Passes

How anxiety affects sleep and mental well-being